vendredi 7 janvier 2011

There's a flood in Australia...


This is painfully embarrassing to admit but the French people around me seem to know more about what's happening in Australia than I do!

I like watching the news on TV but since I don't have a TV it's a little bit difficult to do that...

I generally read all my news online and to be honest I tend to skip a lot of it. All it does is depress or annoy me so I don't bother reading about the murders and disasters (or stupid, idiotic stories about celebrities or freaks) etc. Basically if it doesn't or won't affect me, I don't read too much about it. I may skim read it, but that' s all. It may seem selfish or immature or ignorant but bleurgh. People love to read and talk about bad news. When was the last time you read a piece of news that was good?

So a few people have mentioned to me something about a flood in Australia and I had no idea what they were talking about! I just put a look of 'oh dear' on my face and say, 'Oui, c'est ça' then put on a sad face. I mean... I am 15,000km away and the place where the floods are (Queensland) is over 1,000km away from Sydney. Just because I am from Australia doesn't mean I know any more than they do. Doesn't mean I'm an expert on all topics and current affairs to do with Australia!

I know they are just being nice by trying to make conversation with me... but... all I want to say is... Mother Nature is very angry with us and it seems like there are more and more natural disasters all over the world with each passing year. It's a byproduct of the way we've been treating Earth. Unless we take action I think more of these natural disasters will take place. May sound pessimistic but it's the unfortunate reality, I think :( I am truly sad sorry for the people who have been left homeless though (or even worse, died). I don't want to make it sound like I don't care. But my opinion is that people should try to help where possible, instead of just talking about it. I often feel that people read the news simply so that they can have something to talk about whilst standing by the office water cooler or photocopier.

On a slightly different note, check out this Google video about the events in the year 2010:




(image from here)

0 comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Related Posts with Thumbnails