lundi 23 novembre 2009

A town like Paris - Bryce Corbett




Being so hot yesterday, I didn't do a great deal. I was very lazy and lethargic. Having been lazy and lethargic (and still boiling hot) I wasn't the least bit sleepy and I actually stayed up till 2am reading this book which I bought a few months ago but never got around to reading yet, A Town Like Paris: Falling in Love in the City of Light

I'm pretty sure the title is a parody of the novel (and subsequent film) A town like Alice. At least, that's what I thought of when I read out aloud A town like Paris.

I shouldn't really comment on it yet since I haven't finished it but so far, it reads like a male version of Sarah Turnbull's Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris. They are both Australian, both from Sydney, both around the same age (27-28) when they start their journey, both work in the media and later as freelance journalists... however I found Sarah far more likeable and Bryce seemed rather immature and arrogant sometimes. I even skipped a few pages where he goes on and on about his binge drinking nights. It makes me feel 'old' that that sort of behaviour is just so childish to me!! or maybe because I'm not a 'real' Australian I just don't see the point of getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk?

Still, I do find the book a fun read.. the 'sticker bitch' chapter is particularly hilarious and my favourite so far. I'll do another blog post when I've finished the book so stay tuned!

Oh, and I discovered the author has his own blog here.

0 comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Related Posts with Thumbnails