dimanche 24 janvier 2010

Borders, French purchases, So Frenchy So Chic, 2010 French Film Festival

I'm trying to fit a lot of topics into one blog post, but all the topics are somewhat related...

Not long ago I was at Borders and saw some calendars on sale at 50%. I knew if I waited a bit longer they'd go on sale to 75% off (which they have done now) but before that happened, I went to a sale at Myer (department store) and saw the exact same calendar I wanted, which was already at 75% off, so I bought it.

It's this:
Living Language French: 2010 Day-to-Day Calendar



It's kind of gimmicky and fun, and comes with a CD with some French music and some audio phrases. Admittedly I would not have bought it at full price but at 75% off it was a steal! and I get to learn lots of random phrases ;)

Today I went back to Borders and saw all these tables with books on sale at 50%. I love going through these tables and seeing what obscure things I can find. I did find some Lonely Planet travel guides and a book about Living/working in France but they get outdated too quickly. I did, instead, buy this quirky thing.

I once bought a magnetic poetry kit and gave it away as a present (to someone who never used it) and I kept telling myself I should've just kept it! But I never ended up buying myself one because they are so expensive. Considering this was slightly more affordable, and that the were only one of them (yet there were multiple Italian ones), I just made an impulse purchase! so now I can write messages to myself in French on my fridge, and my flatmate will be none the wiser! ;)





The final thing. So while I was browsing though some books at Borders in the study/career section (I really want to do a Masters but I am still torn about which subject to take it in). This section of the bookstore is actually quite good and it's situated next to the foreign language section too... however, I was looking for books on the GMAT and there were only 2 of them. Two! How appalling! Yet directly opposite, there were hundreds of books on IELTS and TEFL. I don't get it. Not only that, but a magazine on Masters courses around the world that I had just seen in the newsagent was not in Borders either (even though they have the largest selection of magazines of any store). Weird!

Anyway, I had another one of those, "Gee I must be going mad moments" because... I could hear French music playing in the store. I noticed it because it changed from a normal English pop song. I made a note to myself to ask the person at the counter (when I paid for the magnet kit) what CD it was. He said he didn't know but I could check some little stand and it has the CDs they play and apparently it gets changed weekly. There were only 3 CDs on the rack (and I find it hard to believe they would only play 3 different CDs for an entire week!) but I found what I was looking for. It's a CD called....

Cartell Music : So Frenchy So Chic 2010
You can also buy it from Amazon.com : So Frenchy So Chic 2010


which is a compilation of fabulous French songs by French singers, and it's also a sponsor to the 2010 French Film Festival.



How gorgeous is this So Frenchy So Chic 2010 cinema trailer?


Track Listing:

Disk 1
1. M. - Belleville Rendez-Vous (Version Francaise)
2. Revolver - Get Around Town
3. Carmen Maria Vega - En Attendant
4. Java – On
5. Amandine Bourgeois – L’Homme de la Situation
6. Phoebe Killdeer – Looking for a Man
7. Mickey 3D - Yula (Ma Fiancée Galactique)
8. Marina - Tout Me Revient
9. F.M. - Certain People
10. Smooth - Music (feat. Amélie)
11. Lilicub – La Belle Vie
12. Coeur de Pirate - Comme Des Enfants
13. Charlotte Etc. – Label Societe
14. Emilie Simon - Rocket to the Moon
15. Doriand – Tombe Pour la France
16. Rose - Yes We Did
17. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Irm

Disk 2
1. Julien Baer - Le La
2. M - Le Roi Des Ombres
3. Nouvelle Vague – Under the Flag (Previously Unreleased)
4. Emmanuelle Seigner - Le Jour Parfait
5. Ridan - Passe a Ton Voisin
6. Charlie - Le Sapin
7. Babylon Circus - Le Fils Caché du Pape
8. Rachid Taha (With Gaëtan Roussel) - Bonjour
9. Congopunq – Candy Goddess
10. Vanessa Paradis - Dès Que J'te Vois
11. Sophie Hunger - Round and Round
12. Ariane Moffatt – Je Veux Tout
13. Jean Corti & Lola Lafon - Gottingen
14. Hindi Zahra - Beautiful Tango Claire
15. Denamur - Le Prince Charmant
16. Alys – Sam Brook
17. Djeuhdjoah & Lieutenant Nicholson – Cool L’Etang


Which brings me to the next and final topic! The 2010 French film festival. I CANNOT WAIT. I love foreign films and I don't believe I've ever been to this before (although I've been to the German one and Japanese one in previous years).

You can view the virtual brochure of all the movies they will be screening here:
Alliance Francaise French Film Festival of Sydney 2010 programme


And as an Alliance Française member I even get a pretty good discount. Woohoo! I want to see them all but there 3 I definitely want to see, and I'm pretty sure I've talked about them all on this blog already ;) Tickets go on sale 28 January.  Je ne peux pas attendre !

Micmacs à tire-larigot
Serge Gainsbourg, vie héroïque

Bellamy
Quelque chose à te dire
Le père de mes enfants
Je suis heureux que ma mère soit vivante
LOL (laughing out loud)
Non ma fille, tu n'iras pas danser
Ricky
Le premier jour du reste de ta vie
Demain dès l'aube

Pour elle
La première étoile
Dan tes bras
Commis d'office
Le dernier pour la route
Joueuse
Le hérisson
Je vais te manquer

Le code a changé
Rose et noir
Incognito
Le petit Nicolas
Neuilly sa mère !
OSS 117: Rio ne répond plus
Fais-moi plaisir!

Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky
Jusqu'à toi
Partir
Mademoiselle Chambon
Les Regrets
Je l'aimais
Les herbes folles

À l'origine
Korkoro / Liberté !
No pasaran
La journée de la jupe
L'armée du crime
Welcome
White Material

La véritable histoire du Chatte Botté
Les enfants de Timpelbach

0 comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Related Posts with Thumbnails