mardi 23 mars 2010

Daniel Tammet - The Boy who learns a foreign language in one week


Daniel Tammet - The Boy With The Incredible Brain
learns to speak Icelandic (one of the most difficult languages) in 7 days

Looking for more listening practice material, I typed 'entretien' into YouTube and found this video.

I started watching it and had no idea what I was watching really. I thought it was great (yet found it puzzling) that this guy was speaking so slowly, but then I realised that he had an accent as well, which meant that he obviously wasn't French (even though his name Daniel Tammet sounded like it could be French).



So I looked him up on Wikipedia : Daniel Tammet and started watching related videos:

Part 1


Part 2


Part 3


Part 4


Part 5


It's an absolutely amazing documentary about a gifted autistic savant with Asperger's syndrome, a real life "Rain Man". Definitely watch this. It is one of the most extraordinary things I've seen in a long time. Does Daniel succeed in his task to learn Icelandic in one week? Watch part 5 and find out!

What's amazing is that Daniel, like all the other gifted people that feature in the documentary, seem really down to earth about their capabilities, and not at all boastful or egotistical.

In his blog he mentions that Kim Peek (who features in the video and who the movie "Rain man" was based upon) passed away in December 2009, which is sad but I guess his legacy will live on...



0 comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Related Posts with Thumbnails